Website Active Children Portland
Become a Coach-Mentor!
About Active Children Portland:
Active Children Portland operates after-school sports, academic
enrichment, and community service programming to elementary and
middle school students at under-served school sites throughout the
Portland metro area.
Active Children Portland takes a unique approach to early public health investment by keeping
children engaged in their club, classroom, and community. Programming uses a holistic approach to
childhood development, specializing in sports, creative writing, nutrition education, and
Active Children Portland’s mission is to empower youth to lead mindful, healthy lives, succeed
academically, and inspire positive community engagement. Our organization began in 2011 with the
vision to support communities and serve hundreds of local students through youth sports. Active
Children Portland program participants receive programming 30 weeks a year, 3-4 days per week,
which keeps them moving, healthy, and engaged in a positive and stable after-school environment.
This fall, we’re expanding our programming to meet the needs of kids disproportionately impacted by
COVID-19. Our programs focus on helping all participants to develop the confidence and life skills
they need to succeed. We believe that by taking a holistic and comprehensive approach to youth
development and focusing on kids who need it the most, we WILL make a positive investment in our
Active Children Portland is offering Part-Time Soccer Coach/Mentor positions for after-school
programs in the Portland Metro Area at various Elementary and Middle School sites this fall.
● Coach-Mentors work with an Active Children Portland team of up to 15 young students.
● Receive trauma-informed, mindfulness, and Soccer for Success training
● Work with a SUN school site directly; through the larger service provider operating at a
specific location (ie. Latino Network, IRCO, MFS, etc.)
● Implement the U.S. Soccer Foundation’s Soccer for Success teaching soccer and life skills
on and off the field.
● Classroom lessons highlighting these specific areas: Physical Activity and Wellness,
Mentorship, Family/Community Engagement, Creative Writing, and Service Learning.
● Support SUN school site as a full instructor, helping with students throughout the afternoon
● Complete all mandatory training provided by Active Children Portland.
● Typical program hours: 3-4 sessions per week, Monday-Thursday; 2:30-5:30, although days
and times may vary per site.
● Reports to: A.C. Portland program staff and SUN site manager
● Pay: Starting $15/hour (varies slightly based on school site); potential for a gas stipend,
returning Coach-Mentor bonuses available
● The fall season begins roughly around the beginning of October, depending on the site, and
continues for around 6-8 weeks.
● Sites are available in North, S.E., and N.E. Portland, Gresham, Fairview, and Troutdale.
● Soccer or coaching experience is a plus, but if you enjoy working with children and have
some familiarity with the game, you are a great candidate.
● Any relevant experience or education involving youth, trauma-informed care, or public health
is highly valued!
● Passion and willingness to make a positive impact in our next generation.
● Commitment to the A.C. Portland mission of improving lives by utilizing sport, mindfulness,
and health as a vehicle for social change.
● Ability to adhere to all A.C. Portland rules and policies and a desire to promote our mission
using the given curriculum.
● A high level of integrity, accuracy, dependability, enthusiasm, and confidentiality.
● Must be authorized to work in the U.S. without Visa sponsorship.
● Must go through a background check upon acceptance.
● Must be 18 years or older.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: Starting at $15; potential gas stipend
Active Children Portland will meet all COVID safety regulations for Summer programming. As
requirements continue to change, we are dedicated to the safety of kids, families, and staff and
adhere to all necessary policies.
Send resumes to ACP Program Manager, Sianna Moreno