Website Clarion West
Status: Part-time hire for 2022
Location: Seattle, WA
Reports to: Residential Workshop Coordinator
Salary: $28-35/hour, commensurate with experience
About Clarion West
The Workshop Facilitator provides leadership within the residential programs through workshop facilitation; engagement with instructors, participants, and staff; helps develop and plan all Clarion West critique-based workshops; helps to train staff and instructors; and helps update methods and materials. This position has a strong focus on excellence, equitable and inclusive practices, and establishing an inclusive workshopping culture within all Clarion West programs.
This is a part-time position for 2022 with the possibility of extension. The position will allow for a combination of remote and in-person job duties, variable work hours, and occasional evenings and weekends. The right person can be based outside of Seattle, but must be able to attend all in-person workshops as scheduled. The Workshop Facilitator reports to the Residential Workshop Coordinator.
Clarion West will not consider applicants for the 2022 Six-Week Workshop for this role at this time.
- Identify and introduce equitable and inclusive practices to Clarion West’s programs, specifically around Clarion West’s in-person workshops, applications, instructor selection and training, and critiquing methods.
- Develop and plan workshop methods appropriate for Clarion West’s programming (with an emphasis on the six-week summer workshop)
- Serve as a resource year-round for CW programs
- Plan and communicate with instructors to facilitate high-quality critique-based workshops
- Train and/or provide guidance on new training opportunities, reading materials, and best practices for instructors and staff in updated critique models
- Work closely with the workshop coordinator to plan communication with instructors, students, and other staff, including facilitation skills, training, and workshop methods.
- With the workshop team, help identify instructors for CW programming
- Review and assist the Residential Workshop Coordinator in ensuring best practices for student application language, website information pages, marketing language, program evaluation, and other aspects as needed.
Six-Week Workshop Facilitation
- Maintain and update workshop and critique descriptions sent to students and instructors
- Facilitate class from 9am to 12pm, five days a week, during the six-week workshop every summer from June-July
- Ensure the smooth implementation of new workshop methods
- Be a resource to students and instructors during the workshop
- Redirect instructors if needed (for example, if an instructor loses track of time)
- Be an ally to students, ensuring authors are able to lead their workshops and get what they need from the sessions
- Read student stories and be prepared to address potential sources of conflict
- Assist in mediating classroom disputes
- Have availability for one-on-one or small-group meetings with students during residential programs.
- Co-facilitate occasional small and large group learning opportunities with additional content as necessary with the instructors and/or workshop staff
- Review, help design, and assist in maintenance and administration of workshop data, surveys, evaluations, and related information helpful for the design and administration of the workshop
Additional Qualities & Experience
Clarion West will consider applicants who do not meet all criteria but are willing to build in training and are a good fit for our organization.
- Well-informed in educational/pedagogical fields as to updated practices, especially in relationship to creative writing, inclusive and welcoming classrooms, and alternative forms of critique workshops
- Feels comfortable stepping into a critique circle when needed to help diffuse a situation, or facilitate an important discussion.
- Knows when to step into a critique session to help the instructor.
- Flexible and adaptable, able to work with both students and instructors/staff
- Awareness of classroom dynamics, use of content notes, potential microaggressions
- Willingness to learn from the group/students
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
- Prior experience in facilitating workshops and working with diverse groups
- Background or interest in speculative fiction a plus
- Master’s Degree in English, Creative Writing, Humanities, or related strongly preferred
- Certificate or relevant experience in facilitation for diverse groups
- History of education/training in the areas of writing, critique programs, adult/continuing education programs
To be considered for this opportunity, submit a letter of interest outlining your qualifications for the position and a resume to email@example.com. Please include your cover letter and resume as PDF attachments to your email and list the position title in the subject line of the email.
Benefit package includes: sick leave and paid time off after the first three months.
Open until filled
This is a part-time position with variable hours between 5-15 hours per month January-May and August-December and 150-200 hours during the Six-Week Workshop between June-July.
Information can be shared with all other job postings
To apply for this job please visit www.clarionwest.org.