Website Kootenai Tribe of Idaho
Kootenai elders pass down the history of the beginning of time, which tells that the Kootenai people were created by Quilxka Nupika, the supreme being, and placed on earth to keep the Creator-Spirit’s Covenant—to guard and keep the land forever.
The Kootenai Tribe of Idaho is seeking a part-time Family Practice Physician to provide ambulatory health care to eligible Native American and Tribal employee beneficiaries at the Kootenai Tribal Health Clinic. The Physician is responsible for direct medical care of patients, including diagnostic, preventive, and therapeutic services. He/she oversees the medical program including strategic planning, quality improvement, medical case management, diabetes treatment/prevention, and supervision of the FNP and RN. This position is covered by the Federal Tort Claims Act.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Utilizes knowledge and skill in taking medical histories, performing appropriate plans and therapies (including referrals for consultations) and providing medical follow-up.
• Provides comprehensive medical care to all age groups.
• Makes referrals to specialists in compliance with Indian Health Service and Kootenai Tribe Health Department regulations and policies and provides follow-up to assure quality care.
• Reviews clinical records and evaluates medical care provided by consultants, specialists and staff. Recommends changes and improvements when indicated.
• Reviews laboratory and consultants’ reports and initiates any indicated follow-up.
• Maintains small clinic pharmacy including ordering and distributing prescription drugs for patients.
• Participates in developing, implementing and evaluating policies, procedures, protocols and other business items as requested for the clinic to ensure high quality, cost-effective medical care.
• Participates in staff meetings, and case conferences.
• Communicates effectively with the patient including appropriate patient education and counseling.
• Provides clinic staff with after-hours phone accessibility for consultation when necessary.