Website Klamath Tribal Health & Family Services
Klamath Tribal Health & Family Services
3949 South 6th Street
Klamath Falls, OR 97603
Phone: (541) 882-1487 or 1-800-552-6290
HR Fax: (541) 273-4564
CLOSE: UNTIL FLLED
Position Description: Communication/Information Officer Page 2 of 6
2. Create and distribute news articles, stories, information, materials, photos, marketing campaigns, etc. for Tribal Government, KTHFS Departments, KTHFS staff, Tribal Members and the general public. This includes editing copy, verifying accuracy and completeness of information, working with the media for advertisement, and distributing through email list serves.
5. Oversee and actively participate in the production process of publications including forms, tribal reports, brochures, pamphlets, etc. utilizing computerized desktop publishing software such as; Quark Express, Photoshop, PageMill, and Microsoft Word. This includes the coordination of outside vendors for printing purposes.
6. Set and meet monthly deadlines for photo screening, printing, newsletters, etc.
7. Cooperate and coordinate with other staff and programs for purposes related to KTHFS communications. Screen information submitted for distribution to insure adherence to Tribal policy or general tribal practice. Ensure that the communications strategy is consistent and reflects the organization’s strategic vision.
8. Manage the KTHFS mailing list. This includes monitoring address changes and printing address labels for the mail-out of KTHFS newsletter.
9. Assist departments by providing assistance regarding advertising and promotional plans.
10. Oversee the process of multi-media production for KTHFS events, including but not limited to, photography, design concept, copy, and production.
11. Maintain awareness of important issues, interests of the readers, and goals and objectives of KTHFS, the Tribal Government and the Tribal Organization for the creation of the KTHFS newsletter.
12. Manage, coordinate, and maintain the use of the KTHFS Trade-Show booth, as assigned.
13. Implement and manage the social media strategies. This includes building and sustaining online communities and growing and monitoring the online supporter base and traffic.
14. Coordinate the development and functionality of the KTHFS Website utilizing a third party vendor as the web administrator. This includes creating video and photography to be incorporated within the site.
15. Advocate on behalf of the organization with external stakeholders and the media across all communication channels and vehicles. This includes documenting the presence of the organization at events, conferences, and speaking engagements.
Position Description: Communication/Information Officer Page 3 of 6
16. Prepare annual budgets and plans for the program. Review and monitor program expenditures to ensure established budgetary constraints are maintained.
17. Exercise the full range of supervisory responsibilities for program staff and activities (if and when required). Perform overall work planning, establish work schedules and priorities, assign and reviews work. Discuss progress of the work and problem areas as they arise. Recommend employee status and other personnel changes. Evaluate performance and identify training needs. Keep employee informed of management policies and goals.
18. The incumbent will work with Tribal Administration focal person to develop, finalize, publish and distribute Tribal wide information bulletins including annual reports, press release, and other publications.
19. The incumbent will be called upon to accomplish other tasks within their scope of work including information and communication officer with Incident Management Team, and other similar responsibilities.
The Administrative Officer is the direct supervisor who defines and establishes the overall objectives. Employee works independently, resolving normal conflicts according to established procedures and past experience. Employee exercises initiative in researching answers and solving problems using judgment based upon previous training, experience, and instructions. Unusual, new, or complex assignments which require deviation from past experience or precedents are discussed with supervisor
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
Knowledge of the Klamath Tribal organization and work of the Public Information Program in order to provide the technical advice and service where an understanding of the total work is needed.
Knowledge and understanding of the Klamath Tribes organization, functions, policies, goals, priorities and operating programs.
Ability to establish and maintain effective personal relationships in a work situation with supervisors, co-workers, and the public. Must be able to communicate effectively with people of different managerial, economic, cultural, ethnic, and educational backgrounds.
Ability to use sound judgment in establishing work priorities requiring successful completion of organizational goals with the ability to handle heavy workload to meet objectives.
Ability to achieve programmatic and organizational objectives making sound decisions exercising judgment based on previous experience, training, and instructions.
Position Description: Communication/Information Officer Page 4 of 6
Excellent organizational, leadership, management, and planning skills.
Extensive knowledge of proofreading principles.
Knowledge of maintaining manual and electronic copy for print.
Understanding writing fundamentals, details of English grammar, and the Associated Press style writing.
Must be able to use a computer at an advanced skill level to perform various word processing, spreadsheet, database, publishing, and photo editing functions (Both Macintosh and PC).
Demonstrated ability to express thoughts clearly and accurately through both oral and written communication.
Knowledge in operating 35mm, digital, and manual cameras with basic knowledge of camera film, lighting specifications, and editing techniques.
Knowledge of graphic design, graphic identity, and pre-press principles.
Knowledge of bulk rate and 1st Class mail preparation.
Knowledge of local tourism & public relations.
Skills in editing, production, designing, and layout for publications.
Ability to perform complex work paying close attention to details to ensure accuracy.
Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of medical records and adhere to the standards for health record-keeping, HIPAA and Privacy Act requirements.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION
Minimum Qualifications: Failure to comply with minimum position requirements may result in termination of employment.
REQUIRED to possess a High School Diploma or Equivalent. (Must submit copy of diploma or transcripts with application.)
REQUIRED to possess a Bachelors or Associate Degree in Journalism, Communications, English, or related professions; OR equivalent job related education and experience may be substituted for the degree. (Copy of degree or transcripts must be submitted with application.)
Position Description: Communication/Information Officer Page 5 of 6
REQUIRED to have a minimum of three years progressively responsible experience in a similar capacity
REQUIRED to have excellent computer experience. Emphasis using a PC with software such as Quark Express, Adobe Photoshop, PageMill, SmartMailer and Microsoft Office
REQUIRED to possess and maintain a valid Oregon Driver’s License, (out of state applicants must receive ODL within 90 days of hire), have good driving record and be insurable by the Klamath Tribal Health & Family Services’ vehicle insurance policy. (Must submit copy of driver license with application.)
REQUIRED to submit to a background and character investigation, as per Tribal policy. Following hire must immediately report to Human Resource any citation, arrest, conviction for a misdemeanor or felony crime.
REQUIRED to submit to annual TB skin testing and adhere to KTHFS staff immunization policy in accordance with the Centers for Disease Control immunization recommendations for healthcare workers.
REQUIRED to accept the responsibility of a mandatory reporter in accordance with the Klamath Tribes Juvenile Ordinance Title 2, Chapter 15.64 and General Council Resolution #2005 003, all Tribal staff are considered mandatory reporters.
Graphic design and other artistic skills/abilities, preferred.
Two or more years in a Public Information related field, preferred.
Positive working experience with Native Americans in a related field, preferred.
Indian and Tribal Preference will apply, as per policy. (Must submit tribal documentation with application to qualify for Indian Preference).
This position description is intended to provide an overview of the requirements of the position. It is not necessarily inclusive and the job may require other essential and/or non-essential functions, tasks, duties, or responsibilities not listed herein. Management reserves the sole right to add, modify, or exclude any essential or non-essential requirement at any time with or without notice. Nothing in this job description, or by the completion of any requirement of the job by the employee, is intended to create a contract of employment of any type.
Position Description: Communication/Information Officer Page 6 of 6
Submit a Klamath Tribal Health & Family Services Application for Employment with all requirements and supporting documentation to:
Klamath Tribal Health & Family Services
ATTN: Human Resource
3949 South 6th Street
Klamath Falls, OR 97603
IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE APPLICANT TO PROVIDE SUFFICIENT INFORMATION TO PROVE QUALIFICATIONS FOR TRIBAL POSITIONS.
Please Note: If requirements are not met, i.e., submission of a resume in lieu of a tribal application or not including a required certification, your application will not be reviewed and will be disqualified.
Indian Preference will apply. In accordance with Klamath Tribal policy, priority in selection will be given to qualified applicants who present proof of eligibility for “Indian Preference”.
Applications will not be returned.
To apply for this job please visit klm.portland.ihs.gov.