The National Tribal Forum for Excellence in Community Health Practice is a gathering that celebrates indigenous achievements and innovations in creating healthier communities. Honoring diversity and unique pathways to wellness, this event is an opportunity for leaders and professionals working in tribal and urban communities to continue to develop a network focused on one common goal: healthy Native communities.
This forum supports excellence in community health practice by:
1. Building a national community of practice in Tribal public health.
2. Reaffirming the value of tribally-driven approaches to improving health.
3. Honoring the diversity of Tribes and pathways to community wellness.
4. Sharing stories about successes and challenges in community health practice.
5. Exploring the benefits of Tribal public health accreditation and quality improvement.
FOUR FORUM STREAMS
This forum will address four key themes:
1. Public Health Accreditation Readiness
2. Excellence in Community Health Practice
3. Governance and Innovation for Health
4. Indigenous Pathways to Health
FORUM PLANNING COMMITTEE
Northwest Portland Area Indian Health Board:
Luella Azule, Nancy Bennett, and Bridget Canniff
Red Star International:
Aleena M. Kawe, Russell King, Keisha Musonda, and Krystin Poitra
The Forum Planning Committee appreciates the input of the TARGET Project partner community and public health departments: Cherokee Nation, Chickasaw Nation, Ho-Chunk Nation, and Lac du Flambeau Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Indians. We extend a special thanks to the Kalispel Tribe of Indians and Northern Quest Resort and Casino for hosting this important gathering. We’d also like to acknowledge the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation for providing support for this forum.
- ROUND TABLE MATERIALS
Indigenous Public Health & our Chi’lange’lth (Inherent birth rights)
- PLENARY SESSIONS
- Kaye Bender, PhD, RN, FAAN, President and CEO, Public Health Accreditation Board
A 20-Year Retrospective on Tribal Epidemiology Centers
- Victoria Warren-Mears, PhD, RDN, FAND, Director, Northwest Tribal Epidemiology Center, Northwest Portland Area Indian Health Board
- Kate Grismala, MS, Tribal Health Program Support Assistant Director, United South and Eastern Tribes, Inc.
NCUIH 2020: A Collective Demonstration of Exemplary Urban Indian Health Organizations (UIHOs) in Indian Country
- Maurice “Mo” Smith, MA (Navajo), Executive Director, National Council of Urban Indian Health
- PUBLIC HEALTH ACCREDITATION READINESS
Public Health Accreditation Readiness
A Tale of Two Tribes: Our Experiences in Community Health Assessment
- Miranda Willis, BS (Chickasaw), Chickasaw Nation
- Bobby Saunkeah, RN, MSHEE, CIP (Kiowa), Chickasaw Nation
- Dave Poupart, Jr., RN (Lac du Flambeau), Lac du Flambeau Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Indians
- Sandra Supinski, REHS, Lac du Flambeau Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Indians
Organizing for Quality: Wisconsin Tribes Working Together to Build Strong Public Health Services
- Lorrie Shepard, RN, Forest County Potawatomi Community
- Nancy Young, MPA, Institute for Wisconsin’s Health, Inc.
Destination Accreditation! Two Tribes Share Their Journey on the Road Less Traveled
- Pam Thunder, BS, Ho Chunk Nation
- Julie Deerinwater-Anderson, MPH (Cherokee), Cherokee Nation Health Services
- Shane Dominick, BS (Choctaw), Cherokee Nation Health Services
Strategic Planning to Achieve Health Equity in Tribal Communities
- Jamie Ishcomer, MPH, MSW, (Choctaw), National Indian Health Board
- Karrie Joseph, MPH, CHES, National Indian Health Board
- EXCELLENCE IN COMMUNITY HEALTH PRACTICE
Excellence in Community Health Practice
Health Impact Assessment: Elevating Public Health Data and Tribal Voices in Decision-making
- Amber Lenhart, MPH, Health Impact Project
- Joseph Kunkel, MArch (Northern Cheyenne), Sustainable Native Communities Collaborative
- Raquelle Myers, JD (Pomo), National Indian Justice Center
Building Our Collective Capacity: The Case for an Indigenous Public Health Institute
- Aleena M. Kawe, MPH (Yoeme), Red Star International, Inc.
- Erin Marziale, MPH, National Network of Public Health Institutes
Implementing the Community of Learning Model for Urban Indian Health
- Kimberly Fowler, PhD, National Council of Urban Indian Health
Quality Improvement in Practice: The Basics and Stories from the Field
- Robin VanDerMoere, MS, ASQ-CQIA, Michigan Public Health Institute, Center for Healthy Communities
- GOVERNANCE AND INNOVATION FOR HEALTH
Governance and Innovation for Health
Nation Building for Wellness: Tribal Data Sovereignty for Healthy Indigenous Communities
- Stephanie Carroll Rainie, DrPH, MPH (Ahtna Athabascan), Native Nations Institute
- Abigail Echo-Hawk, MA (Pawnee/Athabascan), Washington State University Spokane
Tribal Public Health and the Law: Challenges and Opportunities
- Aila Hoss, JD, Public Health Law and Policy Consultant
Building Emergency Preparedness Capacity Together: Success Stories from Oregon’s Nine Tribes
- Carey Palm, BS, Oregon Health Authority Public Health Division
- Matthew Lieuallen, JD, Ecology & Environment, Inc.
- Don Courtney, BS (Warm Springs), Confederated Tribes of Warm Springs
- Shana Radford, LLM (Cayuse/Nez Perce), Confederated Tribes of Warm Springs
- INDIGENOUS PATHWAYS TO WELLNESS
Indigenous Pathways to Wellness
Using Our Best Indigenous Knowledge and Science: The Powerful Effects of Voice and Choice on the Wellness and Healing of American Indian Urban Communities
- Tassy Parker, PhD, RN (Seneca), Center for Native American Health, University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center
- Madison Fulton, MS (Diné), Inter Tribal Council of Arizona
A Native Approach to Reviving and Maintaining Traditional Tobacco
- Eldon Kalemsa Jr. (Hopi), Hopi Tobacco Program
Childhood Obesity Prevention: An Indigenous evaluation approach
- Olivia Roanhorse, MPH (Diné), Notah Begay III Foundation
- Renee Goldtooth, MPH (Diné), Notah Begay III Foundation
What is Public Health Accreditation?
- David Stone, MS, CPLP, Public Health Accreditation Board
A Deeper Look at Public Health Accreditation
- David Stone, Education Specialist, Public Health Accreditation Board
Beyond Accreditation: Using Data to Improve Community Health
- Sujata Joshi, MSPH, Northwest Portland Area Indian Health Board
- Nanette Star Yandell, MPH, Northwest Portland Area Indian Health Board
National Library of Medicine: Community Health Maps
- John Scott, MS (Tlingit), Center for Public Service Communications
- Kurt Menke, GISP, Bird’s Eye View
Quality Improvement in Public Health: Beginning your QI Journey
- Robin VanDerMoere, MS, ASQ-CQIA, Michigan Public Health Institute, Center for Health Communities
Seven Keys to Better Meetings
- Nancy Young, MPA, Executive Director, Institute for Wisconsin’s Health, Inc.