Confederated Tribes of Siletz Indians
Siletz Community Health Clinic
PO Box 320
Siletz, OR 97380
About the Clinic
To promote and facilitate engineering planning and construction support for the IHS national facilities program by developing and enhancing relationships among Tribes, area offices, and Service Unit engineers and related professionals dealing in building health care systems.
Attainment of the IHS and DHHS missions
The DFPC mission is achieved by:
* Maintaining a priority list based on relative need.
* Supporting tribes when they choose to assume facilities-related responsibilities.
* Planning health care and associated facilities to minimize facility life-cycle costs.
* Planning, promoting, & constructing improvements to exist. Facilities where they are not optimally functional.
* Planning & constructing new facilities when existing facilities do not exist or cannot be effectively improved.
* Developing state-of-the-art facilities with efficient and effective facilities planning.
* Targeting the unmet need with limited resources for maximum effectiveness.
To be a Global Health Care Facilities Engineering Division leading cutting edge professionalism in support of Public Health advances and development of solutions to the Indian Health Service challenges.
The Siletz Community Health Clinic is a one-story, wood frame building which is about 13,500 square feet. The Siletz Community Health Clinic was opened on February 9, 1991 and is dedicated to the health and well-being of the members of the Siletz Tribe, to other Native Americans and to the community of Siletz, Oregon. The Siletz Community health provider list is as follows: 1 FTE Family Practice Physician; 1 FTE Family Nurse Practitioner; 1 FTE Physician Assistant; 2 Pediatricians; 2 internists; 1 Family Practice Physician; 2 FTE Dentists; 1 Optometrist; and 1 Physical Therapist. The Siletz Tribal Health Care Program provides for the delivery of comprehensive health care to the Siletz Indian people and their dependents residing within the eleven county service area of Western Oregon. Services are provided through a combination of direct care, contracts, and referral to appropriate agencies. The Clinic offers a range of outpatient services including: Family Practice Medicine, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Pharmacy, Laboratory, Radiology, Dental, Optometry, Dietetics, and Mental Health Care.
About the Tribe
The ancestors of the Siletz people originally lived along the coastal area including what is now part of Tillamook, Lincoln, and Lane Counties for thousands of years. The discovery of gold in the land of the Takelma in the Rogue River Valley during the winter of 1851-51 brought white miners by the thousands. By 1853, the flood of miners extended through the canyons of the Rogue and Illinois Rivers to the lands of the Tututni and Coos. Amidst increasing hostilities among the whites and Indians the US government removed the Indians from their homelands in Western Oregon and placed them on reservations in Siletz and Grand Ronde. The Siletz Reservation reached from Cape Lookout in Tillamook County on the north to near the mouth of the Umpqua River on the South. Up until that time, the land had been home to the Lower Umpqua, Siuslaw, Alsea, Yaquina, Siletz, Salmon River, and Nestuccs Indians. For the next 50 years those Indians on the Siletz reservation were the object of “civilizing” by the whites. Of the 2,025 Indians of various tribes placed on the reservation at Siletz in 1851, only 259 had treaties with the US Congress. The remaining 766 didn’t qualify for goods or assistance from the government. Consequently, there was a marked decline in health care. The erosion of their reservation lands began in 1865 when some Willamette investors wanted a railroad route to the coast. A presidential order cut the reservation in two. Soon after, a large section of the middle of the reservation including all of Yaquina Bay, was opened to white settlement. In 1875, Congress passed a law closing the Alsea Reservation, the southern part of the old Siletz Reservation. Compensation was not provided in either instance. In 1887, the Dawes Act allowed for allotments to the Indians, which became the target of white settlers. Unallocated lands were declared “surplus” and passed into the public domain. In 1956 through PL 588, the Western Oregon Termination Act, the government terminated the Siletz Tribe, declaring they are no longer “Indians.” The remaining Siletz lands were sold and Government Hill was given to the city of Siletz. The next 20 years saw a continued erosion to their culture, health, and identity. After years of working together as a united people, the Siletz Tribe was restored and reasserted their Indian identity with the enactment of the Siletz Restoration Act, PL 95-195 on November 18, 1977. The Siletz Reservation Plan was approved in September 1980. The reservation now contains the 39 acre Government Hill parcel and 3,630 acres of timber lands in Lincoln County, as well as several parcels of land purchased by the Tribe.
About the Area
Reservation: 3,666 acres or about .57 percent of Lincoln County. City: Siletz, population 1,024. Elevation 135. Incorporated 1946. County: Lincoln, population 38,800. 922 square miles. Per capita income (1986) $12,643. Rainfall 74.6. Average temperatures 43.4.-56.9. County’s true cash value averages out to about $2,866 an acre. Principal industries: tourism, fishing, agriculture, recreation.
Other Offices and Programs
Three satellite offices: 420 Pine Street, NE, Salem, OR 97303; 1800 Centennial Blvd., Springfield, OR 97380; and 3715 SE 39th, Portland, OR 97202.
Total Tribal Employees
No housing provided. There are three towns located within a 25 mile radius of the reservation. Toledo is 8 miles away, Newport is 16 miles away, and Lincoln City is 24 miles away.